Thursday, February 24, 2011

Plum's Cafe- Costa Mesa, CA

Overall Rating: 4

He said: I was happily surprised by this diner that's been in my backyard for over a decade and I never knew about it. Granted when we indulged I was entirely hung over but the food was just what the doctor ordered. The Dutch Baby is definitely meant to impress newcomers but, as Reese said, it is a bit much for a single individual and in my opinion was too rich (lemon juice, powdered sugar AND syrup? C'mon). We decided to share both dishes as the Baby takes a little less than a half hour so when my eggs benedict came out first I "voluntarily" shared it.

She said: I really liked this place. Everyone's dishes looked delicious, and made me want to go back. We shared the famous Dutch Baby pancake and eggs benedict (see review below), and I was more than full and happy. It's a very unassuming restaurant tucked away in the corner of a strip mall, but it's a little gem.

Price: $$

Ambiance: Family-friendly, cool

Good for: groups, brunch, families, friends, post-party hangover relief

Would we go again?: Heck yes

Date visited: 1/1/2011 (Saturday)

Special notes: Outdoor patio available.


Our order: Their famous Dutch Baby- This is a deep dish pancake with lemon and powdered sugar. It was pretty stinkin' delicious, but I probably wouldn't get it again, unless I was taking someone here for their first time. It's huge and rich and tasty (a la Kobe Bryant; sorry Kev), but it's just a lot to take in for breakfast. But as we went here the day after New Year's Eve, we were looking for something greasy and unhealthy. It's a fun order to share with people, but definitely not to order on your own. Unless you're Kevin. This also takes about 25 minutes for them to make, so either place your order the second that you arrive, or order something else to tide you over.

We also shared their eggs benedict, which was muy delicioso.

No comments:

Post a Comment