Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Upper West- Santa Monica, CA

Overall Rating: 3
He Said: I have probably driven past this restaurant more times than I care to recognize and the only reason I made it was because she recommended it (as always). The parking situation is a little hectic (if you don't care to pay for the valet you have to battle for parking on busy Pico). Once we were seated the service was attentive, the drinks "good" and the food somewhat forgettable. If I were out for drinks with a larger group of friends or got a late-night hankering for something to eat (as most food is more agreeable when under the influence) I would promote this spot. I would not reorder either of our selections and would instead try the Seared Tuna.
She said: While the food was good at Upper West, I think it's their great drink specials, fun atmosphere and eclectic menu that would bring me back. I had their corn chowder (see review below) and we split a bottle of wine because we're drunkards young and fun. The waiter (young hipster type in late 20's) was super attentive and friendly.
Price: $$
Ambiance: Dark, cozy, busy

Good for: Mid-20's/30's crowd, dinner date, drinks
Would we go again?: Probably/maybe with a group of friends
Date visited: 2/8/2011 (Tuesday)

Special notes: Their happy hour goes until 10 (!!) on Mondays! And all wine bottles are 50% off on Tuesdays! They have a cool indoor patio type of room where they show classic movies. It seemed like a fun place to chat, drink and mingle.

Restaurant website:  http://www.theupperwest.com/



 Kevin's order: Meatloaf sandwich because he's white with a side of french fries.

Chariese's orderRoasted corn soup with black bean falafel. I thought it was good; the falafel added an unexpectedly tasty touch. I probably wouldn't order it again, but I was satisfied. I'm not much of a meatloaf lover, but preferred Kevin's order to mine (as per usual). Especially the fries.

No comments:

Post a Comment