Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Open Sesame- Belmont Shore/Long Beach, Ca.

Overall Rating: 3.25

He said: 3 The only reason to go to this restaurant is if you need some variety to get you away from the standard dishes your used to seeing on every other menu. Although I I appreciated the volume of food (a common trend in Mediterranean restaurants?) it was a bit south of what I was looking for. Not blown away or wowed by anything in particular but if it were to come down to CPK or Open Sesame I would go with the latter just for diversity's sake.

She said: 3.5 This place had such hype to it that I had expected something beyond amazing. And while it was delicious, I didn't run home and tell everyone to go there (as I generally do if I love a place). Everything was good, but I shouldn't have set my expectations so high. I'd go back for lunch.

Price: $$-$$$

Ambiance: small, quiet, dimly-lit

Good for: Small groups, dates

Would we go again?: Maybs

Date visited: 3/9/11 (Wednesday night)

Special notes: Make reservations. They have a small location on the corner, then another one a few doors down. But still, on a busy night you will need to have a table saved.




Appetizer and Drinks:

- Appetizer: Spicy hummus and pita bread (3.5/5). The bread was warm and the hummus was tasty, although not spicy enough for my (Chariese) liking. I wouldn't have ordered this had I read the menu better and realized that our orders come with pita and hummus. Nonetheless, it was good. They offer a few different beers and wines from various parts of the world. All that and I ordered a Stella, while Kevin ordered some foreign beer.


Main Course:
- Kevin's order (left)Lamb kabob on a bed of basmati rice. (3/5) All I saw was lamb (something that's not very common on most menus) so I went for it. It came with some crazy paste shit that was mediocre and this rice stuff that left me satiated at best. The thing that I liked most about this plate was the amount of food that came with it (I was definitely full afterward) but was not stoked about much of anything else. 
- Chariese's order (right): Chicken Tawook  (3.5/5). I thought this was pretty good. The charbroiled chicken is tender and juicy, and the garlic sauce and hummus are clutch. There's also a little hidden pita hiding under all the chicken, marinating in it's juices. So good. It comes with your choice of salad, and I chose tabouli. Not sure why I did, as I'm not a fan of the stuff, but it was probably good. Kevin took the left overs for lunch and they were a superior selection in the cold-lunch bracket but still less than amazing with the dinner crowd.

Herro.

No comments:

Post a Comment